About accreditation in Neuroprotective Developmental Care (NDC or 'The Possums Programs')
NDC offers health professionals innovative clinical tools and a wealth of resources for assisting parents with breastfeeding, sleep, unsettled infant behaviour and mental health challenges.
NDC is an integrated and evidence-based approach to the care of babies and their families. It has been developed, peer reviewed, and published over the past 15 years from an integration of the research across the fields of neuroscience and medical science, lactation science, the psychology of attachment, evolutionary medicine, and applied functional contextualism. We invite you to become part of a groundbreaking, evidence-based movement for change in early life care!
There are three steps to becoming an NDC accredited practitioner. Click here for an explanatory flowchart. Note all these prices are in AUD.
- Completion of pre-requisite Introductory Workshops: "Evidence-based care of mothers and babies" and "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Perinatal and Infant Mental Health" currently available online (2 x $50 if you are registered for a Masterclass or proceeding with NDC Accreditation);
- Completion of "live" online Masterclasses (total $500/$450). Our next "live" online Masterclasses will be held in 2 hour modules over 6 weeks, commencing 8 October 2020.
- We also have recorded Masterclasses Online ($500) available for viewing in your own time. These Masterclasses are ideal for those who have registered with the NDC Accreditation pathway and can't attend the live, "online" Masterclasses commencing on 8 October 2020.
- Completion of NDC Accreditation Pathway (Stream 1 = health professionals: $370 registration; Stream 2 = medical doctors: $450 registration).
You can do the Masterclasses first before undertaking the NDC Accreditation Pathway, or you could join up now to the NDC Accreditation Pathway and do the Masterclasses later on. Accreditation is renewed every 3 years, pending successful completion of re-assessment and payment of a fee.
If you join the NDC Accreditation Pathway you'll have immediate access to:
- Live NDC Network Hours, facilitated by Dr Pamela Douglas 8 pm AEST alternate Wednesdays, Ms Renee Keogh 7 am AEST Thursdays, or Accredited Mental Health Social Worker, Brooke Shelton, monthly (using Zoom videoconferencing), available for support and case discussion whenever you want to tune in throughout your three-year registration (minimum attendance 12 hours).
- Closed NDC Network Facebook pages for health professional peer support
- NDC clinical tools including videos and sets of photographs for use in your consultations
- NDC parent handouts
- Practice set-up list
- Research publications detailing the NDC evidence-base
- Powerpoints of presentations by Dr Pamela Douglas (2015 onwards)
- 12 hours of videoed presentations of evidence-update ("New Clinical Tools: Mood, Breastfeeds, Sleep and Crying- the Possums' Conference" February 2017)
- Handbook of core NDC competencies - made available at Masterclasses
- Handbook of key strategies from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy suitable for perinatal consultations
- Multi-choice exam pre and post-course
- Three hours of observation in consultations with Dr Pamela Douglas or Ms Renee Keogh at the Possums Education + Research Centre, by Zoom or face-to-face
- Completion of two day Masterclasses
On completion, you'll receive
- Logo use and credentialling document: NDC Accredited Practitioner
- Promotion of your name, your website and your location on possumsonline.com
- The option of renewing your accreditation
- The option of licensing the right to set up a Possums Clinic.
Inquiries: please email firstname.lastname@example.org
"I came across the Possums program when I was struggling with adequately responding to desperate mothers in the sensitive and challenging time as they transition to motherhood. Often, they were going to heroic lengths to feed and settle their babies and were overwhelmed with conflicting, and non-evidenced based advice. [NDC Accreditation/the Possums programs are] based on five domains that interact to affect parent-infant wellbeing. Once I began to incorporate this model into my practice, I immediately noticed a significant improvement in pain-free breastfeeding, reduction in cry-fuss issues, improvement in sleep, and finally and most importantly of all – much much happier mammas!
The upskilling for me as a lactation consultant/midwife has been life changing. Networking with other health professionals through the NDC Network who have completed the NDC pathway has created a ‘village’ of like-minded professionals growing to support families in the continuing challenges of parenting. The fact that that I can access their collective experience, wisdom and knowledge is both professionally and personally supportive. How exciting to be part of an evidenced based new paradigm which empowers and engages families in early life care!
I am so indebted to Dr Pamela Douglas – her research and dedication to improving early life care for mothers and babies is inspiring."
Robyn Fitzgerald, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, NDC Accredited Practitioner, Midwife, Melbourne, Victoria
AUD 450.00EUR 300.00USD 360.00GBP 270.00
Health Professional Accreditation
AUD 370.00EUR 250.00USD 300.00GBP 225.00